Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Splat!

I did speedwork on the treadmill today. Yipee. I myself did not go splat. But I wonder how many other fools did, after getting this month's Runner's World and deciding to try running backwards on the treadmill.

I admit, I tried it. I have been concerned about logging so many miles on the treadmill while training for a race that has some nasty downhills. No way to prep for that on a machine, except... run backwards! It is not easy -- I could jog along carefully at about 15:00 pace for about two minutes at a time, and it took a while to take my hands off the guardrails. But it gets you into that forefoot-striking, glute-engaging form! Don't know whether the sweat dripping down my face was from the challenge to my muscles or abject fear.

Sunday's long run was another thing entirely. So fun! It was about 40 degrees, so I went charging along entirely too fast. Ran from the house over to the marathon course, via Harvard, and did a loop of the hilly section between Coolidge Corner & Cleveland Circle. I wish I could make it over to Brookline more often, because there's something inspiring about running on the course. Also, lots of faster runners to chase, and slower runners to pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Running Mix