Thursday, April 23, 2009

4:40:11


That's all, folks. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I had a great time on Monday, and finished in 4:40:11. Sadly, chip time doesn't stop for the 10 minutes waiting to use the port-a-potty at mile 12, or the many diversions to high-five pre-schoolers and Wellesley girls. But even with those detours, I beat Jesse's PR by 13 minutes, and that's all that matters.

Highlights of the day:
  1. Friends on the course. Thanks to everyone who came out, even those of you who I missed because I was, as Geoff says, "in the zone" when I passed you. Knowing that I had people at 17, 18, 21, 23, and 25 let me keep clicking along.
  2. The crowds. The little kids, especially, kept me going. I tried to keep to the middle of the street and avoid the more rowdy folks at the end, though.
  3. My teammates. Even though we got separated early on, Sean & Hector helped keep me cool before the start.
  4. Knowing I put in the work. When I started feeling tired, I thought about the work I had done in training and in fundraising, and about all of the people who had supported me in both those areas. I knew that I had prepared, and that I would finish.
  5. Bouillon cubes. Sounds gross, but when you finish a race looking like a salt-lick, it helps. (Thanks, coach Jesse.)
  6. Wellesley. You really can hear them 1/2 mile away. And the "Kiss me, I'm ___" signs ae remarkably specific and diverse. My favorite, from a lone guy: "Kiss me, I'm male."
  7. Running up Heartbreak Hill. All the way up. Past all the people who blew past me earlier in the day. I intentionally didn't race on Monday, but it was gratifying to have a moment of glory.
  8. Not racing. For someone who is... how shall I say it... a little intense, it was a nice break to just run for the experience of being out there. I had fun, and I felt less trashed after 26.2 than I have after some shorter races.
  9. Digging deep. Even without pushing the pace, 26.2 miles is a long way! From mile 22 on, I was out of energy, my legs were shot, I couldn't bear the thought of ingesting anything else, and I was overwhelmed by the crowds. Those last 4 miles were the "mountain-top" moment when I got to zone out, look into myself, and see who was there. And, lo and behold, there I was.
  10. Hereford Street. In training, I had avoided running that last stretch, sort of like I never walked through the main gate at Harvard until I graduated. I'm glad I made a big deal out of Hereford Street, because that was where I started crying. By the time I rounded the next corner and could see the finish line, I had composed myself enough to really smile as I crossed the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, congratulations! 26.2 miles, I can't imagine how your legs must hurt after that loooooong run. I'm sure you were able to meet lots of new people and gained many more friends. It must feel wonderful after finishing the race, the feeling of accomplishment. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete

Running Mix