Sunday, April 19, 2009

Gratitude

Ok, tomorrow's the day! Eeeee!!!!

I am so full of gratitude right now. Jesse wanted me to make a little speech at today's pasta party, so here's the blog version.

Since my injury, so many friends have given words of support, repeating back to me the mantra, "The hay is in the barn." Thank you for believing in me and never telling me that I should quit, or even slow down. Also, thanks to everyone who has listened to my incessant training rambling. I'm sorry -- I know you never wanted to know this much about performance underwear, glycogen recovery, or snot-rockets!

Sincere appreciation on behalf of MBHP staff and clients to everyone who has donated. It seems like the funding cuts keep coming, and you all are stepping in to provide some relief. You are also making a personal, caring connection to the agency and its clients -- something which the government and large foundations cannot offer. The sacrifices that some of you have made to donate inspire me to keep going.

I also want to acknowledge MBHP's staff for the work they do every day to end homelessness. They do it with love, courage, and humor. Special thanks to Barbara for challenging her friends to give, and to Rennie for all of her logistical support to the marathon team.

Shout-outs to my teammates Hector Cruz & Sean Caron for awesome training and fund-raising. The three of us have out-fundrasied last year's 5-person team! See you tomorrow morning, gentlemen.

Dawn at Massage Therapy Works, massage therapist Fatima Aguilar, and Nina Judith Katz of Meridians of Health have all gotten me back from points of serious pain throughout my training. Particular thanks to Nina for donating her time in support of MBHP, and for doing some truly magical work to get me back from the calf injury and ready to run tomorrow.

Mom, thank you for setting such a great example of toughness and stamina as a marathoner and as a mother. You're my hero. Thanks for always being there for us. I'm glad you could be here for my first marathon! Hope that tattoo doesn't hurt too much.

Finally, Jesse, my number-one fundraiser, partner in crime, and coach: I don't know where to begin. Thank you for keeping me positive; taking on house and kid duties so I didn't over-do it; searching out the right foods, music, bandages, medical advice to keep me going; singing my praises to everyone who would hear you (and to me, even when I wouldn't hear you!); planning the best pre-race party to keep my mind occupied today; putting up with my whining enough to let me vent, and then kicking my butt when it was time to get over myself; and never taking it personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Running Mix